Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Humbled...

Sometimes there are days when the most unassuming people leave an indelible mark in your memory..they leave you thinking....they leave you humbled...but I never did imagine that one simple expression of a person would change my outlook towards people forever...

One such day happened when I used to work in the millers road facility of my office...those were the times when the study phase of our project had turned out to be longer than the implementation phase [:D] and we were under tremendous pressure to deliver on time.....every evening at around 5:30pm, I used to go for a walk till Sigma Mall which had just newly opened then..I had made it a daily ritual to have a cup of steamed corn, with or without company..this walk and refreshment was a welcome break from work and gave me time to think over my days work..

That day had partcularly been tiring as i had skipped lunch...I ordered corn and a chocolate milk shake and a bhelpuri, one after the other...on the way back, stopped by a provisions store and impulsively got a chocolate bar...skipping lunch gives u that psychological edge to pamper your hunger with all the goodies life has to offer, specially chocolates....

After settling down in office, i felt my stomach churn...a sudden surge of pain started right from my guts and raced upwards..I couldn't move nor breathe......my colleagues had retired to their dens to work, like meeting rooms where they could not be disturbed..The other cubes around my workspace was vacant, as everyone around my area was in Korea..I felt choked and felt the urgency to throw up...it was a severe attack of food-poisoning....I then spotted an office boy pass by, stopped him, gave him a 100 bucks note and asked him to buy me eno and pudinhara pills from the medical store nearby..His face turned sympathetic at once and reflected the pain I was going through..he was back in less than fifteen mins with the ordered items..

I gave him the most grateful smile I could manage...he came back with a glass of water while I was tearing apart the sachets...after around 10 mins, i felt my strength rushing back and the cramps disappear...suddenly it occured to me that i hadnt even thanked the office boy who had run the errand for me...

"How are you feeling Madame?"....I heard a timid shy voice behind me...I turned back to find the office boy..i thanked him and pushed fwd the change, which was lying on the desk, saying "For you..buy some sweets"...his expression immediately changed to one of utter dismay.....he nodded his head vehemently, and walked away...leaving me gaping at the change with which i had tried to express my gratitude for his genuine concern...Can such little acts of humanity be repaid by extending some odd cash?

I will forever remain indebted to this selfless person who helped me in my hour of instense pain and helpnessness...This incident brought two important changes in my life..changed my outlook towards office boys and other support staff more than ever...and I have started detesting steamed corn....the mere sight of it repulses me..

1 Comments:

Blogger Ravish said...

Nice post!

Cheers!!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home